A group author is special type of person record that is used to be able to include the group's name in the list of authors in a review. Before you can assign a group author to a review, a record for the group author must exist in Archie. Within Archie, group authors are treated as a special type of Person resource. Thus, their records appear under People in the Resources folder view, and you can create, edit, and manipulate their records in much the same way you would an individual person's record.
One significant difference for group author records is that they cannot have user accounts. This means that the individual authors who are represented by a group author record cannot access reviews in the same way as if they had a personal Document Role. If these individual authors need to access the review, but should not appear separately on the review's byline, they can be given the Document Role Author Support rather than Author.
To create a new group author
- From the menu bar, choose File > New > Person. The Person Wizard opens.
Check the Create a Group Author record option. Follow the instructions in the Person Wizard, and move from one screen of the Wizard to the next using the Next and Back buttons. Fields marked by an asterisk [*] (e.g. Group Name) are mandatory and must be completed before you are able to move on to the next page.
- When all details have been entered, click the Finish button. You will get confirmation that the new record has been created (or an error message), and will be able to open and edit this record.)
See also Style guidelines for names and contact information in Archie.
- Group Names should be entered using the title case ('Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Collaborative Group', not 'Non-small cell lung cancer collaborative group').
- If the group has a designated Group Contact person:
- Enter this individual's name in the Group Contact field on the second screen of the Wizard. The Group Contact field should include the Group Contact person's first name, middle initials (if any), and family name.
- On the same screen, add an email address (or two) for the Group Contact person.
- On the screen requesting a Contact Address, enter the Group Contact person's remaining contact information. Tip: If the Group Contact person has a separate Person record in Archie, check their personal Properties to make sure you are entering the name and contact information correctly.
- Note that it is not necessary to create a separate Person record for a Group Contact person who does not already have a Person record in Archie.
- If the group does not have a designated Group Contact person:
- Leave the Group Contact field blank.
- Enter email and contact address information for the group as a whole, if available. Note that you are required to complete the City and Country fields for the Group.
- When selecting the Primary Group, bear in mind that this refers to the Primary Group for the new group author and not for the group's Contact person (if any).
- The appropriate Group Role for a group author will normally be Author. You may want to add the Role specification 'Group Author', but this is not mandatory.
- To avoid creating duplicates and to ensure consistency in published information, it is important to follow certain basic formatting rules when entering names and contact information. This applies to the 'names' of group authors, the names of group Contact persons, email addresses, postal addresses, and telephone and fax numbers.
- Additional information can also be found on Authors using a group name in the Editorial and Publishing Policy Resource (EPPR).