- Methodological queries, concerns, or uncertainty.
- Support for rejection (see rejection policy).
- Complex methods and the CRG does not otherwise have access to appropriate methodological support (e.g. from the NIHR Complex Reviews Support Unit).
- Any potential conflict of interest of editorial staff (e.g. if the Co-ordinating Editor and/or Managing Editor is an author). Sign-off for publication to be provided by Network Senior Editor.
- When multiple iterations have been made and an independent perspective is required (a "fresh pair of eyes").
- Red flags from the abstract (stage E alert) identified by the Senior or Associate Editor or via the weekly Analysis of Review Group Output (ARGO) meeting held by UK Cochrane Centre.
- Occasional referrals from Copy Edit Support or via Cochrane Clinical Answers.
- Critical feedback, retracted studies, or comments received after publication.