Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about managing editorial tasks in RevMan Web.
- Registering a review title
- Changing the review stage
- Checking on authors' progress
- Submission for editorial approval
- Amending the review
- Amending author contact details
- Amending author order
- Adjusting heading levels
- Amending references
- Linking references from the text
- Editorial base quality checks
- Publishing the review
The editorial process can proceed as normal when a review is available in RevMan Web. You and the authors can use RevMan Web or RevMan 5 to work on the review itself.
Continue to use Archie for all functions related to:
- Contact details and affiliations
- Document and workflow roles
- Changes to review stage or status
- Allocating workflow tasks
- Sending submitted versions as attachments to task emails
- Marking reviews for publication
Registering a review title
In Archie, the New Title Wizard will automatically make a Registered Title available in RevMan Web and move it to Protocol stage (reviews must be at Protocol stage for the authors to begin working in RevMan Web).
If you create a Vacant Title in Archie (e.g. to request authors' DOI), when the title is accepted, please move it straight to Protocol stage for the authors to begin work.
Please add information on RevMan Web to your template email to new authors. The system-wide template email 'NEW2020 PD-A1 Title registration' provides guidance for authors on Cochrane systems.
Include a link to the RevMan Web review dashboard in any workflow email using the merge field RevMan link.
Summary of essential guidance for authors
Log in to RevMan Web with your Cochrane Account to work on your review. For optimal performance, we advise using Chrome as your browser. Watch our quickstart guide for authors (2-minute YouTube screencast).
Guidance for using RevMan Web
- RevMan Web Knowledge Base
- RevMan Web special collection of Cochrane Training resources
- RevMan Web YouTube playlist
Contact email@example.com with any queries on using RevMan Web.
Changing the review stage
For any review in Registered title stage, you will need to move the review to protocol stage in Archie for authors to begin work in RevMan Web.
When the protocol is published, the stage will automatically move to Full Review.
All changes to the review stage or status should be made on the review properties in Archie. They will update dynamically in RevMan Web.
Checking on authors’ progress
You can access the latest version of the review at any time, to track the authors’ progress. See View a version.
- Advise authors that they can work collaboratively and simultaneously on different sections of the review. For instance, someone can import references while someone else edits the background.
- If you choose to edit the review while authors are working, you can edit or tag a version of the review without interrupting authors' work.
- If you have changes to make to the review that require it to move to Editorial Phase when it has not been submitted for editorial approval, email authors and let them know. Inform them of a set time when the review will not be available.
- If an author is working in RevMan Web when you move the review to Editorial Phase, they will find they can no longer type in the text boxes. They will see a warning notification. All changes will be saved.
- When reviews are in Editorial Phase, authors cannot edit. They can access the dashboard and view versions in authoring or shared phase in the History panel. See View a version.
Submission for editorial approval
Authors can check the review in (Submit) for editorial approval from within RevMan Web.
Amending the review
Amending author contact details
Use Archie to amend all author affiliations and other contact details. They will update dynamically in RevMan Web.
Amending author order
Use Archie to amend the author order, using ‘Move up’ / ‘Move down’ on the People tab of the review properties. The author order will update dynamically in RevMan Web. You may need to refresh your browser to view the changes, on both the review Dashboard and in the Authors section under Review Info.
Adjusting heading levels
In RevMan Web or RevMan 5, select the relevant text section and choose the correct format on the toolbar. See Adjust heading level.
References to studies can be edited in the RevMan Web ‘Studies’ section. Move directly to the next reference by clicking ‘Next’.
To edit Additional References, expand the reference section in the left-hand menu in RevMan Web, and work through each reference, amending each field as you would in RevMan 5.
Linking references from the text
Select the unlinked reference in the text, click the link icon on the top toolbar, select the relevant reference from the list. You can choose to organise multiple references in either alphabetical or chronological order. See Add a link to a study or reference in the text.
Publishing the review
In RevMan Web, submit the current version for publication. Publish the review using the Archie Publication Wizard.