When a person joins a group, an administrator from the group should first check (e.g., by using Quick Search) if the person is already listed in the system, in which case the person should just have the relevant role in the group added, see Assigning roles to people. But if If the person cannot be found, a new record must be created. The Create New Person Wizard will guide you through the steps of creating a new person and user account while making sure you add all the mandatory information. Non-mandatory data are also desirable (especially contact email addresses) and should be added as available. These data may also be added once the record for the new person has been created.
- From the menu bar, choose File > New > Person. The Person Wizard opens.
Follow the instructions in the Person Wizard, and move from one screen of the Wizard to the next using the Next and Back buttons. Note that to create a normal person record, e.g, for an author, you should leave the Group author option unchecked.
Fields marked by an asterisk [*] (e.g. Family NamePrimary email) are mandatory and must be completed before you are able to move on to the next page.
- When all details have been entered, click the Finish button. You will get confirmation that the new record has and user account have been created (or an error message), and will be able to open and edit this the record details.
See more about the person fields in Editing a person, Style guidelines for names and contact information in Archie.
When you start typing in a field in a name or address, e.g. Department, a pick list allows you to select among values containing letters you have typed that already exist in the database for that field. The list is order by the number of existing occurrences (shown in parentheses).
Name and contact details
, Given name and Primary email fields should be completed. The Family Name field should be used for people with a single name.
Checking for potential duplicates
- Choose a Primary Group from the pull-down list. This list will include only those groups for which you have administrative access rights.
- Choose a role from the pull-down list. If the new person has more than one role in the Primary Group, you will need to create the record using one role, and then later edit it to add other roles, see Editing a person.
- If a role you need is not available on the drop-down list, you will need to add a role to the Primary Group's list of available roles
- The role assigned to the new person will determine the access rights that person has within the IMScontact’s permissions within Archie, so please be careful to select the proper role.
- You can set privacy settings for a person's email addresses, mobile phone number and Skype name. This means that this information can only be accessed by the new person, Super Super Users of the new person's person’s Primary Group, and members of the ITS.system administrators
Creating a linked user account
To allow all users to view and amend their own contact details, a Cochrane Account will automatically be created for each new person record. The New Person Wizard will send an email message to the new contact's email below to ask the recipient to activate their Cochrane Account. If the user chooses not to activate the account, their person record will remain in the system.
The text of the email is as follows:
Subject line: Cochrane Account: action required
You are receiving this message because either:
The Cochrane team
Trusted evidence. Informed decisions. Better health.