- Methodological queries, concerns, or uncertainty.
- Support for rejection (see rejection policy).
- Complex methods and the CRG does not otherwise have access to appropriate methodological support (e.g. from the NIHR Complex Reviews Support Unit).
- Any potential conflict of interest of editorial staff (e.g. if the Co-ordinating Editor and/or Managing Editor is an author) . Signto establish an alternative independent sign-off for publication to be provided by editor, for example the Editor or Deputy Editor in Chief or designated member of the Editorial Board.
- When multiple iterations have been made and an independent perspective is required (a "fresh pair of eyes").