Once a workflow has been started based on a specific template, it is not technically possible to transform it to be based on a different template. Instead, the old workflow must be aborted and a new workflow set up to continue at the relevant point. The Update Workflow to Latest Template function can assist you in doing this, but it is not fully automatic.
Tip: Before using the Update Workflow to Latest Template function, consider whether the current workflow in a state where it is practical, or necessary, to update it. For example, the function will work really well for workflows that are still in Milestone A, while workflows that are in the middle of a refereeing process with multiple parallel tasks can be particularly problematic.
When you run the update process on a workflow, the system:
- Aborts the old workflow and creates a new, not yet started, workflow.
- Transfers all people assigned workflow roles from the old workflow. If a role was unassigned, the new template's role assignment will be used.
- Copies all History events from the old workflow, and makes an entry to denote this.
- Moves all Files from the old workflow.
- Suggests to skip to a specific task if a match by task name can be found. If no exact match is found, the last milestone reached will be used.
To complete the process, you must:
- Manually review the properties of the new workflow.
- You should always carefully check if the new workflow is set to skip to the correct task when it starts. You can see what tasks were active in the old workflow in the new workflow's History.
- If you had sent out ticket emails for the active tasks in the old workflow, those tickets will no longer work. So you should set up new tickets if needed.
- Start the workflow.
To update a workflow
- Right-click the workflow you wish to update and choose Update Workflow to Latest Template.
- Confirm that you wish to proceed by clicking OK. The Workflow Properties window opens Note: this may take a while.
- Click OK.
- Review and adjust the workflow properties as needed.
- Click Start.